Wednesday, October 5, 2011

LEDs in Series and Parallel

LEDs in Series and in Parallel



My last post covered an extremely simple circuit consisting of a voltage supply, an LED light and a resistor. However, I anticipate there will come a time when I will need to wire multiple lights for a project.

LED in Series

This one was pretty straightforward: I simply summed up the forward voltage of both of my LEDs and plugged the total into the resistor value formula. The series setup the most efficient way to light multiple LED because they are all running off of the same current.




LED in Parallel

I’ll freely admit that I had a hard time with this one. I got the wiring wrong quite a few times and burned out a lot of bulbs (took a while to get that burnt plastic smell out of my room). Here’s one of the unsuccessful attempts:


This circuit starts of very bright...

...and then quickly burns out.



This one was a winner:




For the next post, I will put together a Velleman MK102 flashing LED light kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment